Underdog is victorious

So as you can probably guess from the title this is going to be a bit of a soppy, proud and (hopefully) inspirational post! As you may know I am involved in the world of Roller Derby (one of the best decisions I ever made) and I am completely in love with it. I have worked REALLY hard to get my fitness up and my attitude right to fit into Manchester Roller Derby’s B team the Furies and let me tell you, These girlies are amazing and I love them all. Joining this sport has not only helped me get physically better but also psychologically, helping with the numerous mental health issues I am faced with, mainly manic depression and social anxiety/awkwardness, I’ve also improved my self Discipline, determination and motivation in the sport and in general. Last week the Furies had quite the challenge…. We were to take on a very tough (Literally, these ladies are the hardest hitters I’ve faced so far!) but lovely team The Furness Firecrackers.

Here is my team skating out ❤


And here is me doing what I do best, Blocking

20130831-172554.jpgI also attempt jamming sometimes but let’s not talk about that 😉


The odd’s were against us with a short roster and the difference in current rankings: Here is the direct stats from the flat track stats website:

MRD: Phoenix Furies
171st in europe
Ranking: 529.4

Furness Firecrackers
85th in Europe
Ranking: 572.7

Furness is expected to win with a DoS of .26
MRD: Phoenix Furies has a 12% chance of winning; Furness has a 88% chance of winning

Expected Score Ratio

32  :  55

For every 32 points MRD: Phoenix Furies scores, Furness is expected to score 55″

We fought so hard and played so well and in the end we ended up victorious with a final score of:
MRD furies: 186 Furness Firecrackers: 170!!
Naturally we were ecstatic with our win that we had practiced so much to achieve and we boarded the coach home with smiles on our faces.

The next day was advanced scrimmage, Now I have only just joined in with this from intermediate but A few people said I was ready and I certainly felt like I was.  Obviously with being new to advanced members I am at the lower end of the skill and knowledge level we are greeted with here, But I don’t let that stop me trying my best! Today I thought if I could play in a team that won Furness, I could certainly be a valuable player here and I attempted more than usual, goating, assisting and erm…. jamming. Yeah I attempted a jam in an advanced scrimmage and it may have ended in tears (Apparently ribs are no match for elbow pad shells… Who’d have thought it?!) But I don’t regret it and it won’t put me off trying. My efforts did not go unnoticed and I ended up with my first certificate for ‘Most Determined’ and I was certainly the latter.
20130831-161543.jpgThis is my sweaty proud face!! 😀
The week (And by coincidence, month) has come to a close on another very proud moment that will need a little bit of back story. When I was 11 I was diagnosed with Turner syndrome which unfortunately included aortic stenosis (a narrowing of the aorta) and I was told I would never run or be any good at it due to running out of breath quickly. Today I did my first 5k park run 😀 We went round this pretty lake!20130831-161522.jpg
It’s not been easy building up to it, at times I have wanted to kick the treadmill or get off it after just 2 minutes but I have persevered. Not only did I use the treadmill at my gym but I also went for mile runs through my local park which turned out to also keep my depression at bay and help me sleep better. I obviously wasn’t the best at park run but i’m proud of myself and I learnt a lot about pacing for distance running from a lovely lady who persevered and advised me the whole race as she saw I was struggling slightly. I am not put off from trying again! I will continue to train and get better, faster, stronger. On my way home I crossed a bridge to get to my local supermarket and had a little proud cry over the achievements of the past week and let it sink in.

The moral of my little story is at some point in your life you’ll feel something you’ll want to do Is unreachable, unachievable. It isn’t.
“If you want something you’ll find a way, If you don’t you’ll find an excuse”

One thought on “Underdog is victorious

  1. […] Veganmayniac is a vegan blog that also delves into music, roller derby and films. If you’re into roller derby, check out The Underdog is Victorious. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s